Wednesday, March 30, 2011

If you think you can...your right...if you think you can't...you are probably still right...

I don't think you can become an outstanding runner unless you get a certain amount of enjoyment out of the suffering. You have to enjoy absorbing it, controlling it and—ultimately—overcoming it.

Derek Clayton in The Masters of the Marathon


Normally I end my blog with a quote...some tid bit of inspiration that sort of links the whole thing together...a way for people to maybe retain what I blabbed on and on about for 5 or 6 paragraphs...today...I think the above quote is worthy of its own blog...cause I am pretty sure I have never read anything more true. 

One of my links to all things running...is my Facebook page where I have carefully "liked" certain motivational pages...one being Runners World.  When I updated my page yesterday and I saw this quote pop up...I can't explain my excitement...I even sent it to a few people who I thought would appreciate it and posted it as my status...it’s totally true!

I wake up almost every day at 5:30 am...hard in and of itself...but then I unconsciously put on my shorts, sports bra, and lace up my shoes...to hop on the treadmill or hit the streets...and punish myself for an hour if not more!  But oddly somewhere during mile 1 that punishment turns into pleasure...something that I know I would have regretted living without had I not got up and out of bed!  Sometimes I even do something crazier...I go to work...and then I come home and I run again...I just can't get enough!

Lately I do have to say...I have been considering just where I am planning on taking this rekindled love I have of running.  Do I really want to hop back on a regular racing circuit...is this just a hobby...is it time to share this love with others and become a cross coach...I am just not sure...but I do think it’s become more then a hobby...I feel like it’s something I want to nurture...and share...and embed into my life...and heck into the lives of anyone that wants’ to do it with me! 

I think what I love most is the accomplishment I feel after every single run...because each time I get further along...or I do it faster...or I find something new about myself that I never knew.  I think if your not a runner its hard to understand why people do it and for sure why they do it and love it...and that's fair...as the quote above states...you really have to get a certain amount of enjoyment out of the suffering...but I find the feeling you get from overcoming it is well worth the effort. 

Running is a time consuming activity especially as you build your mileage...alot goes into going out to run 12 or 13 miles or more...you do have to eat right...and drink water...and stretch...and get pleanty of rest...and right now these are all things that I am willing to do...I have found something that I am passionate about that I want to grow and develop...and I feel that I am lucky because we don't always have the opportunity to find something we really really love to do!



No comments:

Post a Comment