Sunday, July 13, 2014

10...in the Glen

When I was in high school every Sunday we would meet at Glen Helen at 10 (10 in the Glen) for an 8 mile trail run.  When I think back to that time...and when I tell stories about those runs I often say "its a place where runners are made."  Its a challenging 8 miles of trails and hills and completing it makes you feel both spectacular and gives you a pass to eat the pancakes at Young's that were to follow.  But there is more to it then just the technical aspect.  There is so much emotion involved in this run that to this day, when I go there I can feel it in my bones and hear it in my head, every moment every step, embedded into me like DNA.  Nichole and Denise next to me as we followed John through the Pine Forest...our breathing labored as we raced for the stairs....2 miles left...our steps were light...

The air as you walk down the steps into the forest is heavy and wet its hard to breath its almost overwhelming you start you watch at the bottom so you don't fall.  Once you start though there is no stopping the minutes tick by its almost hard to keep up with yourself...you go to a much different place when you do this run...there is magic around. 

When I went this morning I somehow ended up there right at 10...old habits die hard I suppose.  But that same feeling surrounded me embraced me as I walked down to the bridge.  I began with Mike, it was his first time.  He went ahead of me around mile one, I called to him, "when you get into the Pine Forest, look up, and take 60 seconds to feel what's around you."  As I approached the entrance that same tiny trail called to me...but my feet already knew where to go.  As I ran in, it seemed smaller years of forest having closed in on those beautiful pines.  But the feeling was still there and so was the center of the Pine Forest.  I stopped my watch 1.73 miles, I thought it was 2 miles from the start. 

Like with anything things change...moments pass...and we are left to embrace memories as we create a new future.  I never used to run with a GPS watch...I accepted things based on the time and never once found concern for actual mileage, except for to race.  Was it a simpler time, maybe but these devices also didn't exist then.  We simply ran free, I like to think there is a time and place for all things, and perhaps next time I run there...I will leave the watch behind...and it will be two miles to the Pine Forest as it always was.

When I looked up those same trees were high above waving in the never ending breeze rubbing against one another, squeaking as if to welcome me back.  I appreciated the view, the feelings  and the memories and then made my way down that same familiar path where so many miles had been logged.   

In the back of my mind I could hear the voices and the encouragement from a team of girls who became a family...as we neared the exit of the Pine Forest we saw a single wild rose, John reached down and handed Denise, Nichole and I one petal to hold between our finger tips, he wanted us to relax our bodies and our minds and finish those last miles strong and together.  And so we did, and it was a beautiful day and a perfect memory to hold.

I still have that petal...and that place is still somewhere that had a great impact on my life and still does today.  Its a place where runners are made, memories are created, friendships deepen, and a place I want everyone I love to experience.  Mike forgot to look up today, but its ok, I will take him back...we should look up together anyway. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment