Sunday, January 1, 2012

The resolution...all talk and no action...or saying it is doing it?

[rez-uh-loo-shuhn] Show IPA res·o·lu·tion
noun
1.
a formal expression of opinion or intention made, usually after voting, by a formal organization, a legislature, a club, or other group. Compare concurrent resolution, joint resolution.
2.
a resolve or determination: to make a firm resolution to do something.
3.
the act of resolving or determining upon an action or course of action, method, procedure, etc.
4.
the mental state or quality of being resolved or resolute; firmness of purpose.
5.
the act or process of resolving or separating into constituent or elementary parts.


It's hard for me to understand the resolution...as so often they are just words without actions to go with them! To me if I am going to make changes needed in my life I am going to start those changes immediately...not January 2nd! In fact I like to start as soon as I think something needs to change...start the new year out already making the effort to be a better person! It's funny to watch the diets start and the gym fill up...but how often does that only last a month or two! Making a resolution is a lot of pressure you have to stand behind your words...to me it's much easier to just get out there and start doing it...I would much rather stand behind my actions!


But I am not sure I have the right attitude towards the resolution...maybe it does in fact serve a special purpose.  If I say it am I more likely to do it...since I did in fact put it out there in the world for all to hear?  Does the resolution offer some amount of accountability?


I have spent the last several days thinking about this topic...in fact I actually had to change the name of this post...I decided it needed to be phrased in the form of a question.  But its not a question I have the exact answer to.  As I pondered my goals for running in 2012...I got to thinking is a goal a resolution in disguise?  Or in getting out there during 2011 and proving myself through my actions...have I now earned the right to set these goals?  Have I proven myself capable of following through with my goals based on my actions? 


I know for myself I spent several years NOT setting any goals...not wanting the pressure to have to achieve them or the disappointment of failing to achieve them.  But during 2011 I found myself capable of following through...thus proving to myself...setting goals and achieving them are now both likely to occur in my life!  It was however a difficult lesson to learn.  I have talked about this before in other posts...I had to create the habit I had to trust myself enough to know that I was going to get out there and run.  It took months though...before I felt confidant...and almost a year before I knew if I did not wake up and do it in the morning I would in fact get out there and do it when I got home from work!  There is a great deal of freedom in trusting yourself and your actions!


Whether you make a resolution, set a goal or just get out there and start making it happen...the bottom line and in the immortal words of Nike...JUST DO IT.  We determine our happy and we chose the course we take in life.  If you don’t like where you are change it...make it different.  So often we are scared and we hide...but if you say it out loud and you follow through...you will find you have the strength and determination to move mountains! 


Best of luck to all in what ever endeavor you set forth to achieve in 2012!


Cheers!


"Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible."
~St. Francis of Assisi~

No comments:

Post a Comment