Thursday, January 20, 2011

And we all fall down...

So...I totally wiped out today 2 miles into my 5 mile run!  Thankfully I am the most AMAZING faller...because I was able to flatten out...and keep my face up...so in the end I didn't hurt anything...well maybe I have a banged up elbow...and I may have had the wind knocked out of me...but I recovered quickly and finished the run!  But this sort of got me thinking...we all fall down sometimes!  At times it’s possible to fall harder than other times...but we all bite the dust every now and then...whether physically or metaphorically...I think that’s just life!  It’s hard...and every day is a challenge...but like a great run...life is rewarding...but very clearly has its bumps in the road.  But we can’t let those bumps define who we are anymore then we can let one fall end our run!  I guess I could have gone inside after I fell...but I had only done two miles...I didn’t want to stop...and there was no reason to I was fine...got my adrenaline pumping a bit...but that's not such a bad thing! 

I don’t know about any of you...but I for sure don't want the hard or tricky times to be what define who I am...I want to define who I am based on how I handle those difficult times!  It does seem like every day we are dealt a new hand of challenges...relationships are hard to maintain, work is overwhelming, the kids are bouncing off the walls, the house needs to be cleaned, the laundry is piling up, the dog needs to go out...I think you get my drift!  Life is the universal balancing act...and some days we keep ourselves up right...and other days...we trip and fall on our faces...and we feel like we should just go home...go to bed and try for a more balanced day tomorrow! 

I think it’s important that we remember to do things in our lives that help provide us with balance.  It's so easy to get bogged down by the hard things in life...we really have to fight to surround ourselves with what provides us with positive thoughts and feelings.  As with anything...the feelings that stick with us the most...are normally the negative ones...I don't know why...maybe they have more of a dramatic impact on our lives or maybe we hold them closer so that we can learn from whatever mistake may have lead to these feelings originally.  Whatever the reason...it’s our nature to do this...and I know in my life it’s important that daily I give myself all the positive thoughts, feelings and emotions that I can because I know that I want my life to be characterized by the positive rather than the negative. 

These days I find these happy thoughts stem from running and yoga...and I try to do as much of both as I can.  It’s hard to find the time...but with anything...I have to balance my running and my yoga into my life...and make them both a priority.  And I can honestly say that during the course of the last four months my list of priorities have changed completely also...daily I feel that my life is starting to be in the right order...and I am learning what is most important in my life.  Plus...these two things I have incorporated into my life...make me happy...and when I am happy I am calmer...and when I am calmer I am more focused...and when I am more focused I do my work better...and when I do my work better I feel more successful...and when I am more successful I feel more empowered...I could go on and on...but I think you get that one thing leads to another and another.  This is not just professionally either...I feel like I want to let people into my life and open up more to those that are already part of my life.  Focusing on the positive rather than the negative has lead to some amazing realizations in myself...both good and bad...but these realizations will ultimately make me stronger...happier...and more balanced...hopefully keeping the "falling" to a minimum...and giving me the strength to better handle the situation when I do fall. 

Happy balancing everyone...and drive safely home today...it's snowy out there :)

"Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward."

No comments:

Post a Comment