Sunday, January 16, 2011

Chasing dreams...

Sometimes years, months, weeks, days, and moments pass so quickly that we forget to appreciate what we have...what we accomplish...whose in our lives...and most of all we forget to asses where we are going. I'll be the first to admit...there were about 4 years of my life where I just couldn't figure out how to get myself completely together. Now in those 4 years of course I had a great many number of accomplishments...a new job, new house, masters degree...but there was a link in this chain...something missing that left me drifting. In the lovely words of Taylor Swift...I was a flight risk...with a fear of falling! I had sort of "failed" at a few big things during that point in my life...and it was easier to turn away from things and hide...rather than figure out how to make things better. But after A LOT of self analysis...and vodka :) I came to the realization...only I have the ability to make myself happy....and only I can let go of the things that happened in the past...so that they don't affect me in the present. Only I can set goals and work diligently to achieve them. When it all finally clicked...is when I decided that I no longer wanted to hide behind my weight...I wanted to shake that barrier I had built up and find myself again. What an eye opening experience...I remembered things about myself I had completely forgotten...above all my love of running! But things happened on other levels to...I opened up more to people...and let people be part of my life on a level that I really hadn't in many years. I decided that my future does hold a place for a family...and that this life is better when shared with others. I remembered that I love my job...but that I also want to help the world...so I decided to start with agreeing to coach cross country in the fall. I remembered that we only get this one life and we should live each day as if it were our last...because a life with out regret...is a life worth living. I remembered that I was always happiest when running...and that it gives me this clear vision of my life...and the opportunity to chase my dreams as well as the time to create them! This new found focus is empowering...and exciting. I feel like I have opened up a whole new world to myself...and my plan is to continue to move forward and create my own opportunities...to remember that I control my life and my future...My destiny will be what I want it to be...my dreams and goals are plentiful...and I am in love with the strength and determination I now see in myself.

“The size of your success is measured by the strength of your desire; the size of your dream; and how you handle disappointment along the way.”

1 comment:

  1. Cara, I agree with you that running helps a person see things more clearly.

    Stop by my blog and say hello if you get a chance.

    I'm now following you.

    Ken

    ReplyDelete