Thursday, January 13, 2011

Sidebar...How did you do that?

For those of you that have seen me lately you may have noticed that I have in fact lost some weight....inevitably this realization leads to 3 different questions...Have you lost weight?  How much have you lost?  How did you do it? 

The thing is...I didn't do it by magic...I just sort of did it.  But I think it’s only fair to go back three years because that’s about how long I have been trying to do it!  Life is weird...and it takes us in crazy directions...and it’s way easier to swing by the drive thru and grab dinner then it is to make dinner...and it’s easier to X out the workout written on your to do list rather than do it...because who are we kidding...if something has to go during the course of the day...that’s probably going to be it...it’s the easiest thing to just do tomorrow...when other things come up that are far more pressing!  That is until it becomes vital that working out has to become a top priority...then you do it because you know you really really have to!  And that is sort of what landed me in the position I am in today...it became vital!  At the same time though it clicked for me and became a mind set...the three years that I didn’t lose the weight it was because I just wasn’t ready to change my life...then one day I just was!  And that is when I changed my ways...I got serious about yoga...then I added running...then I started watching my calorie intake!  Now none of this is at all easy...and it’s beyond time consuming...thank God for livestrong.com...it’s helped me track my calories and fitness and is far easier then writing it all out by hand!  But the results are outstanding...when you suddenly have this cool new body...and you can do yoga positions you never used to be able to do...and when you drop from a size 16 to a size 10...then you want to jump out of bed...and go for that run at 6am because you look and feel fantastic!  I don't eat anything special...case in point...the large Papa John's Pizza I consumed in its entirety on Friday night...but what I do make sure of...is that I account for those calories [and no I don't eat pizza everyday...but maybe I will cheat and eat something like that  once a week :)]...my days are planned...I know what I am eating before I even eat it...it sounds obsessive...but it’s the only way I have found that works for me...I have to make sure that the amount of calories I take in...is less than the amount of calories I burn...it’s the key!  It also helped that I love love love running and yoga...so I was able to find something that I enjoy doing and want to spend my time doing...also clutch in this pursuit to better yourself!  I think in life to be successful you have to enjoy what you are doing and want to continue to do it...it’s been some time since I have believed in setting long and short term goals...but I have now set both long and short term goals...which helps to keep me focused and motivated.  I also have a strong desire to be happy...this life is far too short to spend even a minute of it unhappy...so I am constantly searching for things that make me happy and change my life in positive ways...it’s how I want to live my life!  Now it clearly took some time for me to get to this point...but having this desire to always live the best life possible is something I will never take for granted again...life is just too short for that!

‎"People tend to think that happiness is a stroke of luck, something that will descend like fine weather if you're fortunate. But happiness is the result of personal effort. You fight for it, strive for it, insist upon it, and sometimes even travel around the world looking for it. You have to participate relentlessly."

No comments:

Post a Comment